Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Yes, I am a singer

Not long ago did I graduate high school, looking back on it now it all went by so fast. In tenth grade I made the best decision I could to get the most out of it. I joined choir. I didn't realize it then but during those years I would make some of my best memories and friends through the amazing program. Our director although a hard ass at times, did amazing things for us. He was a motivator and coach, most of all he knew how much we loved the music, which was instilled in our performances. Acappella was a privilege, not a right to be in and everyone knew it. The choir was made up of every school social class which broke the common choral group stereotype; we were not ferries, just people who loved to sing. We valued constructive criticism and respected what our director had to say.
I still actively listen to one of the groups favorite composers. Eric Whitacre's music is loved by Duluth East Acappella. His songs are sung with passion and attention to fine detail. Odd and beautiful chord progressions make his songs ring. Whenever I hear a song with a brilliant note, I immediately think of choir and how much I miss it. Don't take these opportunities for granted. Just remember that chill on your back and you'll never forget about choir.

No comments:

Post a Comment